We are in the middle stretch of the Cinca River, waters that irrigate our land makingit fertile thanks to the weather conditions and the productive potential of the soil. All of these conditions have made it possible for our county to have hosted human settlements since prehistoric times, always situated in the vicinity of the area’s most important waterways and especially in the left bank of the Cinca River, the area more irrigated by gullies and streams.
Touring our county, we findin the town of Alcolea de Cinca, the La Codera sitein documenting the oldest settlement dating back approximately to the year 1350 BC. Its occupation lasts until the Iberian era of the second century BCalong with the town of Ripoll, located very near Binaced. Other places such as Mount Gil, in Selgua, will last until the Middle Ages.
The arriving Roman legions to the Peninsula in the year 218 BC take advantage of theexisting roadways or routeswhich had been used previously by indigenous people of the area. To do this, road reconstruction is necessary so as to facilitate the passage of the Roman armies to the conqueredterritories, becoming a major axis of territorial management carried out over the course of theRoman supremacy. One of the most important pathways is that of the well-known Ilerda - Osca, departing from Tarraco (Tarragona) heading to Osca (Huesca) and from there on to Caesaraugusta (Zaragoza). Part of this path we can visit in the vicinity of Binaced, where we still are able to see part of this Roman road that crosses the Pontón in the direction of the Toulouse Mansion (also known as Tolum o Telobis, a Roman Army troop and cavalry resting point), located next to the Our Lady of Joy Hermitage in Monzón.